The Fault Code Sets When the Motor Control Module (MCM) Detects that the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve Position is Incorrect. This fault codes illuminates the CEL & MIL on the dash, as well this fault code has no engine reaction.
Note: Make sure MCM software level 4.7.0.00 ZGS 002 or higher.
- Visually inspect the EGR system hardware, clamps, connections, and for any interference with the travel of the pull rod. Repair as necessary. Perform the EGR Slow Learn routine. Verify repair.
- Verify the orientation of the pull rod. Is the “S” stamped on the pull rod facing toward EGR actuator and the “V” stamped on the pull rod facing toward the EGR valve? If not remove the pull rod and install the pull rod correctly. Perform the EGR Slow Learn routine. Verify repair.
- Move the pull rod toward the rear of the engine by hand. If the pull rod moves turn the ignition on and monitor the EGR actuator and see if it moves. If the actuator does not move replace the actuator. Perform the EGR Slow Learn routine. Verify repair.
- Move the pull rod towrad the rear of the engine by hand. If the pull rod does not move disconnect and inspect the pull rod from the EGR valve to actuator. if the bearings are damaged replace the pull rod. Perform the EGR Slow Learn routine. Verify repair.
- If the pull rod is okay move the EGR valve back and forth by hand. Check to see if the valve moves from stop to stop, if not replace the seized EGR valve. Perform the EGR Slow Learn routine. Verify repair.
- If the EGR valve is not seized, reinstall the pull rod and perform the EGR Slow Learn routine. If fault code SPN 2791/FMI 14 becomes active, replace the EGR Actuator. Perform the EGR Slow Learn routine. Verify repair. If no fault codes become active, release the vehicle back into service.
The fault indicates that the High Idle Regeneration (HIR) was aborted due to the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC) outlet temperature not reaching the expected target temperature to complete a HIR. If there are any other regeneration or fuel system related faults address those first. The CEL and MIL lamp will remain ON until a fault is resolved or a successful regeneration is completed.
- Low Fuel Compensation Pressure
- Exhaust Leaks
- Fuel Leaks
- Sticking Hydrocarbon Doser Injector valve(high doser line pressure)
- DOC outlet temperature not responding
Engine coolant temp min.65*C(149*F)
Barometric Pressure min.755
Ambient Temperature min.-8*C(18*F)
This code will provide a 25% derate
Verification: Once engine is at standard operating temp. road test unit at highway speeds. Coast for 30 seconds and then snap the throttle at 100% for min. 15 seconds.
BEFORE ALL TROUBLESHOOTING REPLACE ENGINE AIR FILTER
- Any other faults present? If yes then troubleshoot those first
- Inspect air intake system for leaks or restrictions. Repair as necessary.
- Inspect wastegate actuator and plumbing going to and from actuator. Repair as necessary.
- Build unit air pressure up to 100psi, inspect air line connection to the wastegate solenoid. Repair any leaks.
- Compare intake manifold pressure to ambient pressure(Baro). If readings are not within 0.4 ambient pressure replace intake manifold pressure/temp sensor and inspect wiring.
- Connect using DDDL read EGR delta p voltage pin 109. If voltages are not within 0.55-0.83 volts, disconnect sensor and measure voltage across wiring. If voltages are within 0.55-0.83 volts replace EGR delta p sensor, if voltages are without of spec repair wiring.
- Inspect EGR delivery pipe delta p pressure ports for blockage, clean off any debris and road test to verify repair.
- Remove EGR hotpipe and inspect for debris or excessive amounts of soot, if debris/soot found replace EGR cooler and road test to verify repair.
- Connect using DDDL, under SCR voltage service routine read DOC inlet pressure(pint 87) and DPF outlet pressure(pin 72). If voltage is greater than 0.56volts replace suspect sensor, but if voltages are below 0.44volts repair wiring from sensor to ACM.
- Inspect DOC and DPF pressure sensor tubes for leaks or damages, Repair as necessary.
- Remove turbocharger inlet and outlet pipes and inspect for signs of oil or debris. Replace turbo is signs of oil or debris are present, then verify repair.
Both codes indicate that the DPF has reached the end of its service life and must be replaced. Replace DPF and perform Ash Accumulator reset using DDDL.
SAVE MONEY ON FUEL FREIGHTLINER CASCADIA
GET THE BEST FREIGHTLINER CASCADIA FLOOR MATS FOR WINTER
Aftertreatment maintenance intervals:
- EPA 07: Remove ash at 300,000miles(480,00km) or 9,000 hours
- EPA10/GHG14: Remove ash at 300,000-400,000miles(480,000-640,000km) or 9,000-10,250 hours
- EPA10/GHG14: DEF pump filters are to be replaced every 150,000miles(240,000km)
- EPA10: DEF pump air bladder, needs to be refilled every 24 months
This Fault Code Sets when the Diesel Oxidations Catalyst (DOC) Inlet Pressure is 35 kPa (5 psi) Greater Than the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Outlet Pressure for more than 10 Seconds.
The ACM monitors the DOC inlet pressure sensor & DPF outlet pressure sensor. This will cause a 25% derate/power loss.
- Check for other fault codes, if codes 3609/3 or 3609/4 are present. Diagnose those codes first.
- Using DDDL go to service routines> SCR & DPF voltages
- Monitor DOC inlet pressure sensor voltage pin 87. If voltage is NOT between 0.44-0.56 volts replace the DOC inlet pressure sensor.
- Monitor DPF outlet pressure sensor voltage pin 72. If voltage is NOT between 0.44-0.56 volts replace DPF outlet pressure sensor.
3. If all sensors check out okay, perform a Low temp by disconnecting DEF metering unit connector then navigating to the Service routines>DFP then perform a low temp regen. Then monitor DOC inlet temp & DPF outlet temp sensor readings:
- If the DOC oullet temp sensor reading follows the DOC inlet temp sensor reading, replace the failed DPF. Regen to verify the repair
- If the DOC outlet temp sensor reading does NOT follow the DOC inlet temp sensor reading, replace the failed DOC. Regen to verify the repair.
This code indicates high leakage in the high pressure fuel system(fuel rail pressure). This light will indicate both the MIL and CEL but with no engine reactions, no de-rate and engine shutdown. This is for a 3 filter fuel system EPA 07/10.
- Check for other fault codes. If 1077/14 is present, you must troubleshoot that fault code first as it will trigger this fault code as well.
- Perform an automated fuel system integriy check (FSIC) using DDDL.
- If longer then 35 seconds, perform the same test while road testing the unit. If the Fault code does not come back again, release the unit or obtain driver info of specific situation fault occurs.
- If less then 35 seconds, check for internal & external fuel leaks. Repair any faults/damages.
- If no leaks are present, perform an Idle speed balance test. Compare values.
- If any cylinders are above 70% or below -70% remove each Fuel Injector transfer tube one at a time. Install cap tool J-48704 and perform a FSIC test. If the bleed off time is longer then 35 seconds replace the cylinders injectors
- If no cylinder is above 70% or below -70% then inspect the PLV for leaks, and replace if leaking.
How to check High Pressure fuel system for leaks:
- Inspect high pressure pump fuel lines for kinks/damage or loose fittings, Repair as necessary.
- Inspect fuel injector tubes and connections at the fuel rail for kinks/damage or loose fittings. Repair as necessary.
- Inspect the fuel rail pressure sensor. Replace if leaking or loose.
- Inspect the fuel pump for external leaks (typically at the flanges). Replace if leaking.
- Cap all six injectors using tool J-48704, then attempt to start the engine. Using DDDL monitor rail pressure.
- If rail pressure reaches desired rail pressure, then check rail pressure bleed down. If rail pressure bleeds down a 100 bar in less then five minutes then replace the high pressure fuel pump.
- If rail pressure does not reach desired rail pressure, then replace the high pressure fuel pump.
PLV leakage checks:
- Install clear hose to the PLV return line. Cap PLV return line on the fuel filter module. Perform a FSIC test. Any flow out the PLV indicates internal leakage. Replace the PLV and reset the PLV counter to 0.
One of the most common fault codes occurring in EPA10/GHG14 model units. This fault code appears when the ACM reads that NOx conversion is lower then spec. Based off the SCR inlet & outlet NOx sensors.
Conditions in which the code will appear:
- During regen the DEF doser begins dosing
- 1000-1500 rpm @15-100% load
- SCR inlet temp less then 650C/ambient temp greater than 0C/coolant temp greater than 70C
This code will put the unit in a derate for at least one drive cycle but will not shut down the unit.
SAVE MONEY ON FUEL FREIGHTLINER CASCADIA
How to troubleshoot
- Verify no other emission related components were recently repaired. Perform a regen to verify code.
- Verify for any air system related fault codes, if any repair those first.
- Verify for any EGR related faults, if any repair those first.
- Verify for any DEF related faults, if any repair those first.
- Verify for any NOx sensor, DPF/DOC/SCR temp or pressure sensor fault. If any repair those first.
- Check DEF quality, verify there is no contamination. Use P/N DDE W060589001900 for more accurate readings. Replace DEF and flush system if any damage/contamination is present, then regen to verify repair.
- Using DDDL compare DEF pressure sensor to barometric pressure sensor reading. Make sure they are within 4.3PSI, if not replace DEF pressure sensor.
- Using DDDL perform DEF quantity test. Remove the DEF doser injector and verify the quantity of DEF fluid being sprayed. Spec is between 100-135ml. If not replace and regen to verify repair.
- Disconnect DEF doser injector connector and perform a Low temp regen using DDDL. Monitor inlet & outlet NOx sensor readings(PPM) make sure they are within 50ppm, if not replace the sensor with most inaccurate/erratic reading.
- After all basic checks have been performed. Regen the unit and monitor NOx efficiency and release unit if unit has over 70% efficiency.
- If unit does not pass a regen perform another regen and monitor SCR inlet & outlet temp sensors.
GET THE BEST FREIGHTLINER CASCADIA FLOOR MATS FOR WINTER
- If the inlet SCR temp sensor reads 38C lower than the SCR outlet temp sensor, replace the One box and check for up stream failure
- If temp sensors are within 38C, perform another low Temp regen. Monitor DPF/SCR temp sensors and replace sensors that have an erratic movement during the regen process.